Sunday, October 18, 2009

Witches Galore

It has been a crazy month! We still do not have any clients yet at work, but, have been told that three families are paying privately and will start up next week. Would have probably started tomorrow, Monday, but low and behold my boss was quarantined Thursday and Friday with the Swine flu! Go figure. I felt bad for him and his family, yet was excited that I knew someone who actually had the swine flu. I honestly think it is no different than the normal flu, which people die from every year, just another scare tactic the government uses on the good ol' USA. However, hopefully we have kids next week because I am ready to start getting some full time hours.

At the beginning of the month I had a few friends from SLO come visit, which was fun. It was good to spend time with them all while being able to watch general conference. One night, we went to a statewide dance in Sandy. It cost $15 to get in (I didn't pay), but was definitely not worth $15. They had three dance floors: one for hip-hop, one for country swing, and one for Latin dancing. There were a lot of people, but it just seemed like to big of a place with lots of empty space.

Last week, my roommate, Courtney, and I decided to make Halloween suckers as a way to meet our neighbors. They were an adventure! We didn't have a candy thermometer, or any thermometer for that fact, so we had to make many test batches to find the right time to cook our candy. We then had to figure out how to let it cool just enough to not go everywhere, and melting the gummy worms, when we poured it over the worms and sticks, but not too cool that it stuck to the bottom of the pan. Then, we had to use the wisdom of our mothers to find out how to get candy off of a pot. Mama B came to the rescue, informing us that we simply had to boil water in the pot. Tried it, and like magic the candy just evaporates off, leaving the pan nice a clean. Anyway, after 3 batches, yes 3, we finally got the suckers to work. Went to our neighbors, met three out of eight. I consider it a successful task!

First Batch (Notice the burnt, melted mess)









Final Batch
(almost professional!)

We also went to Gardner Village, which is usually a little area with craft shops and what not. However, the night we went, it was "Witch's Night." Little did we know that by going in normal street clothes we would be the minority! There were probably over 1,000 people in this little village, 90% of which were dressed in witch costumes. Those hats are dangerous! First, they obstruct the view of the wearer, thus causing them to bump into anything and everything. Second, the brims act as decapitating devices when they run into you. Third, when the one wearing the hat bends over, they forget the extra length and point on top of their head, thus poking anyone that comes within a two foot distance of them. It was pretty funny to see a bunch of witches of all shapes, sizes, and scandalousness running around this little village which was decorated with fake witches doing random activities such as playing baseball, flying bicycles, playing the piano, etc. We were witched out after about an hour and decided a take home pizza with a movie sounded amazing!

Courtney next to our new hula-hooping witch friend (the witch REALLY hula-hooped!)

Look at all the witches!


I almost forgot the most important event of this month! I am an aunt of two. Nikki, Jared and Bailey, along with the rest of us welcomed William Everret Senelick into the family on the morning of September 22, 2009. BIG BOY! He was 8 lbs. 14 oz, 21.5 inches long, and he just keeps getting bigger! I just talked to Nikki the other when she stated he has already grown out of the diapers provided by the hospital and is on to size twos. Bailey is enjoying being a big sister it sounds like, but not liking the fact that she has to put a jacket on when she goes outside. Big change going from Hawaii to Connecticut!

She loves him

The weather here in Utah has been getting cooler. I am loving the fall colors on the mountains with the snow at top as well as the many colors on the leaves of trees everywhere you go. I am still nervous to have to drive in the snow, but I hear if I keep a good eye out for bad drivers around me, I should be good. We shall see!

View from my front porch
Courtney and I are trying to decide what to be for Halloween. Our thoughts so far:
Storybook characters, i.e. Goldie Locks, Little Red Riding Hood, and so on.
Hunters
Sailors
Greek Goddesses
80's Workout instructors

Any input would be great! Even ideas of your own. We are shooting for attractive, not scandalous, yet functional to move and dance in.

Gave up on Jude the Obscure...not the book for me at this time. I could not get into it! I switched to East of Eden by John Steinbeck which I am enjoying very much.

Life is going pretty good. Still getting used to the idea of being all grown up with car payments, a full-time job, etc, etc. All part of the beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...