In no specific order, six influential people in our lives.
Dallin:
Mom and DadYou can't have one with out the other. These two are a package deal. My dad worked for most of the day, but was always home around 6pm. This left ample time for us 6 kids to wrestle, tickle, and put tape on his glasses when he fell asleep on the couch. He was always a great provider and leader in our home and treated my mother with love and respect. When the time comes I hope to be half the father that he is to my family. Which brings me to Mumsy. She was home every day when we got back from school to see that we had some food in our bellies and that homework was done. She kept us on track every Sunday while we were getting ready for church and saw to it that we were all loaded up in the Suburban before heading off. Well.....most of the time.
President Finnigan
G, Michael Finnigan was my Mission President for my 2 year stint in New Zealand. He was a major role in my mission and was somebody that I was able to confide in about the people we were teaching and would answer any questions that I had. He taught me how to care about people and how to look past peoples imperfections to see the true value of a person. Our zone conferences were always something to look forward to. He had the ability to make someone feel their true potential and to also see it. I will always remember his dedication and love that he showed to each and every one of the missionaries that came under his stewardship.
Kelli
Understanding, sweet, forgiving, loveable, patient, dedicated, hard working, beautiful, caring, funny, thoughtful, strong, and creative. She is all of this and more. I chose very wisely in marrying Kelli. She has been my rock as I am going through school and working here in Utah. I love coming home and seeing her every night. She is the love of my life.
Bishop Gorbahn
He was the only bishop that I was really able to relate to. He loved to spend time with the young men in the ward by participating in our mutual activities, scouting trips, and BBQs on the beach. I remember him as someone who took the time to talk to you, regardless of age or experience. He never down played anyone. I can't recall a single time where he spoke ill of somebody or said hateful words in the presence of others. He was an example of how to treat people and how best to serve them.
Andy Griffith
You can't watch as many episodes as I have and not be influenced by this guy. In a calm and peaceful town he taught life lessons and knew the how to be happy. Happiness isn't found in material possessions; it is found in surrounding yourself with the people you love and taking the time to notice the simple, yet, wonderful things in life. There will be hard times every now and then, but there is always something to learn from each road that we travel down.
Kelli:
Mama B.- Obviously, the woman who gave birth to me and is still suffering the difficulties of bringing me into this world (I'm not a very easy child) has had a major impact on my life. She was my best friend growing up, still is...well, next to Dallin, and never judges me nor my choices. Her example of strength through some extremely difficult times in her life has taught me how to handle adversity with dignity and grace. Not bringing others down with me at these times of trial, but rather looking for people I can lift up, showing that this way of dealing with challenges often puts everything into perspective and much easier to handle. She has always made sure that we felt like her top priorities, even while pursuing her personal goals. She sacrificed more than any one can imagine to make sure we always had a parent to come home to after school, a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen and the ability to give each child just what they needed at any given time. Basically, she set an example, and continues to set the example, of how to be a mother. Could not have asked for a better mentor.Daddy B.- This man never gave up on me. We have had our differences, as two similar personalities often do--wink, wink, but his ability to love through difficult situations showed me that the love felt for a child far exceeds personal wants. He taught me how to work and work with pride which has given me the skills to achieve opportunities in my career life that otherwise would not have been possible. He challenged my intellect which has granted me the ability to be a college graduate from one of the best schools in the West (click "schools" for proof). Honestly, I would not be where I am today, working in a field that is challenging with a B.S. from Cal Poly, along with a lifelong love for learning, if were not for my dad constantly encouraging me to be better and achieve my fullest potential. I owe all my successes to him.
Brother Hunsaker- If you were lucky enough to have lived in San Luis Obispo from 2005-2009 and meet Stephen Hunsaker, consider yourself blessed. He arrived in the area the same year I did and left the same year I left; coincidence? I think not. We were, without doubt, put into each other's lives for more reasons than one. He helped me find the courage to be who I wanted to be, believe in what I knew to be true but was scared to admit and have faith enough to fall in love. Without his "subtle" (enter extreme sarcasm) promptings, I would probably still be running from commitment, including Dallin. I can say, without hesitance, that this man helped me become an adult who stopped analyzing every minuet detail and has learned to trust her heart.
Grandparents- Since we limited ourselves to six, I have to group my grandparents into one person, although each is different and has had their own impact on me. However, they have all loved without limit and support endlessly. The main impact they have had on me is how to deal with the loss of loved ones. They have shown that although sorrow is felt deeply, the faith of knowing that we will see our loved ones again has helped me handle loss in my own life.
Ariel- Yes, the Little Mermaid. This may seem odd, but I was OBSESSED with The Little Mermaid when I was little. There is no way that she could not have influenced me to some point when I watched her singing gayly as she flippered her way through the ocean at least twice a week. Do not worry. She did not influence me in a way that some very skeptical people may argue Disney princesses do. Mainly, that they brain wash little girls into thinking they are not complete without a prince and must adhere to the princess values. Quite the contrary, actually. Ariel's desire to explore new worlds, respectfully disembark from her father and make sacrifices to achieve her dreams influenced my tendency to love change, push boundaries and put myself out there in order to see just what I am capable of. So, yes, Ariel, although fictional, was an influential person in my life.
Dallin- How could I leave out my best friend, my main supporter, one of the top reasons I wake up with a smile each and every day. He did not give up when I tried to push him away during my "fear of commitment stage," Nor has he rehashed all the dumb things I have done in the 3.5 years we have been together. This man makes me want to be better and has been an example of forgiveness, love and courage since day one. His uncanny ability to love EVERYONE, no matter their background, appearance or character flaws, is an inspiration. I can not imagine my life without him. In fact, I have mini panic attacks every time I imagine something horrible has happened to him when he does not answer his phone. He has a gift of finding humor in every situation, which is often needed, and has helped me to lighten up a bit. He is my better half and I learn more and more from him every day.
Both:
Siblings- They are just hands down awesome. We love our siblings
and their courage to venture out to achieve their dreams. All, on both
sides, are examples of greatness.Although we have many wonderful people in our lives, we could not, for obvious reasons, make a list of EVERYONE who has made a difference in our lives. Just know that we strongly believe that each and every person in our lives has made an impact in one way or another. We love you all!











Can I just say how much I love these Interviews!! Keep them coming!
ReplyDelete