On Thursday November 19, my sweet papa passed away. He had been courageously fighting espohageal cancer since March. As hard as it is to not have him here physically, there is great comfort in knowing that we will see him again, he is no longer in pain and that he is gracing those he meets in the spirit world with his classic jokes. (i.e. "Knock, knock." "Who's there?" "Centipede." "Centipede who?" "Centipede on the Christmas tree!" One of my favorites). Caleb's middle name is Thomas, after him, and we have every hope that the kindness, tenacity, sillyness and inspiration that my papa exuded will be passed to his namesake. I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to have such a good relationship with this man. There are so many happy memories that fill my heart with joy as I think about him.
The following pictures are some of my favorites from his life and the funeral:
 |
| There was no question how much he adored his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He would tell me every single time we talked that he didn't know how he got so lucky to not have a single black sheep in his posterity. |
 |
| Papa, Val, Terri, Mike (my dad), and Grandma Baldwin (Gloria) |
 |
| Love this picture of my papa and grandma on their wedding day, 1959 |
 |
| We got to visit him at least twice a year, which I cherish his smile and positive attitude |
 |
| My sweet siblings always brought joy to his eyes |
 |
| Some may think this picture is odd, but I LOVE the joy in the eyes of my aunts and dad as they goof around with their dear old dad. I don't think he would have wanted it any other way. |
 |
| Seriously. Love it. |
 |
| The kids with Bev |
 |
| Baldwin granddaughters with Bev |
 |
| This shows his silly personality |
 |
| We had to recreate it |
 |
| Felix and Oscar with Papa and Bev. He adored these puppies |
 |
| Bev with the boys |
 |
| My dad with papa |
 |
| Funeral potatoes brought smiles to all. From left to right: Mike (my dad), Bev (stepgrandma aka nothing short of an angel), Lexi (younger sister), Nikki (older sister), Kristi, Terri (aunt), Val (aunt) |
 |
| Mad selfie skills pre-funeral. It was SO good to be all together again. I'm sure papa was smiling knowing that he brought so many loved ones together after so much time. |
 |
| Dad with his girls after the funeral |
 |
| Fish face fixes everything... |
 |
| We wore papa's championship rings as a tribute to him |
 |
| The Baldwin sisters/granddaughters |
I sure do love you, papa. You always had a smile, kind words and support beyond words for everything I did. Your influence has inspired so much of each and every one of your posterity's accomplishments, as well as countless other students and athletes. I will miss your uplifting phone calls, cheesy jokes, loving smile and big bear hugs. You will always be in my heart.
God be with you 'til we meet again.
No comments:
Post a Comment