This past week is the first time since Caleb has been born that I have had feelings of pressure to have him be on the same timeline as other babies his age. I know he is on his own timeline, literally HIS own. There is not even a milestone chart for kids with Down Syndrome because they are all SO different that their therapists and doctors look at them each individually, and as long as they are progressing at a steady rate, they are on track. Due to their low muscle tone, those with Down Syndrome struggle with developmental "milestones" like sitting, pushing up with their arms, walking, etc. Caleb has an amazing early interventionist, Joan, who is on top of things and gives us exercises to do with him to help him use these muscles and strengthen them. We also have to sometimes teach him how to use certain muscles rather than him just figuring it out, like other babies might be able to do.
 |
| Supermanning it |
He is getting stronger and is not extremely delayed, by any means. But, my type A personality rears it's ugly side sometimes and wants him to be right up there with all the other babies his age, which is just silly, Down Syndrome or not! I follow this mom/son duo,
Group Hug Apparel (click the link to watch their documentary), on instagram. The son has Down Syndrome and has, with the help of his family, started a business making t-shirts from his drawings. He then takes the proceeds from the shirts he has sold and uses them to provide things for kids in the hospital with different ailments. I tear up every time I read his story because it is so inspirational what he has done. Anyway, the other day she posted a picture with the quote, "You can't draw water from an empty well...Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you need to at this time." Her message was that as a mom, especially a special needs mom, we want to do everything we can for our kiddos to insure they achieve everything they desire, but we must take care of ourselves and make sure we are not running ourselves ragged. This rang so true with me that day! Each time I look at Caleb, I feel that he is going to do great things. I don't want him to not be able to achieve those things because of something I neglected to do. However, "Just because I can do something, doesn't mean I need to at this time." Truer words were never spoken.
This journey Caleb is taking us on is amazing. Every minute of it. He has taught us so much in his short 6 months on this earth. Currently, he is teaching me to live in the present and the lifelong lesson of not comparing. Happiness comes from being true to ourselves, not comparing and trying to be like everyone else. Yes. My 6-month-old has taught me that.
No comments:
Post a Comment