Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Colorado, Fourth of July and Summer Fun

We started July off with a road trip with just me, my mom and Luke to Colorado. We left the three dogs and Caleb with Dallin, then set off for the drive across Wyoming to visit grandma Bev, Terri and aunt Lexi. It was a whirlwind of trip, filled with swimming, ice cream and lots of fun. Worth the 16-hours of driving.















While we were away, Dallin and Caleb took a trip up the canyon with some good snacks. They also gave all three dogs a bath and went on walks. They were busy boys!







On the 3rd of July, the city of Centerville has a kid bike parade, which consists of any kiddos on any sort of wheel to decorate their ride and cruise down neighborhood streets with neighbors cheering for them. They are then greeted at the end with popsicles from a local diner, Pace's Dairy Ann. Luke loved every minute of the parade, including decorating his bike. He went all out! Caleb rode his scooter for a few minutes, but enjoyed the wagon ride more. In his defense, it was pretty hot, crowded and chaotic.








For the Fourth, we walked down our alleyway to watch the Centerville parade roll by. Because of where we were sitting, there were not very many kiddos around us, but the parade participants threw just as much candy at our boys. We have taffy for YEARS! Caleb is definitely a parade boy. He loved every second of the festivities and would then wave at any and all cars going by, expecting candy, for the next week. We also picked out our traditional cereal of choice. The boys thought they were in heaven!












That night, we got to meet up with the Evans for the Kaysville fireworks. They have easily become our favorite show to attend. The kiddos had a blast running around, making friends all over the place and then creating sculptures and headgear out of glow sticks. We happened to be sitting next to a family with a little 6-month-old who has Down Syndrome and were over the moon when they came over to introduce themselves. It was a perfect Independence Day, celebrating with people we love.










My friend Paige asked me on a Friday afternoon if I would be interested in going on an "Hiking and waterfalling, with a little rappelling adventure" with her the next day. I had no idea what "Waterfalling" was and figured I had rappelled at girl's camp back in the day and I like hikes, so I agreed. We met up with Kodiak Cakes, who was hosting the event and provided amazing swag bags for the adventure, at Sundance Resort early Saturday morning. We then hiked to Stuart Falls in Provo Canyon. We met some amazing people including a bronze medal speed skater, documentarians (one of which was on the US ski team), and some fitness blog "celebrities." All just good people, ready for adventure. I love how things like this form an instant bond between people. These waterfalls are amazingly gorgeous! We were taking in the beauty when we realized that the rappelling was happening DOWN the waterfalls. My anxiety brain kicked in and I almost chickened out, but Paige is a motivational goddess and convinced me to climb the falls and then trust my life to rope as I rappelled backwards down the slippery, freezing cold waterfall. I'm glad I did it and it was a rush and I feel empowered, but I'm not sure I'll do it again. As you can see, her pictures are full of life and I'm just making my way down. Still so glad I did it with her!








Other summer fun in July:

We finally got our new fence installed and it feels so good!

Enjoying the outdoors at the Farmington Pond and Dual Creek. Luke also went to a 3-day Jedi Camp with a few neighborhood kiddos. He loved getting to run around and has carried his light saber with him everywhere. While he was at camp, Caleb and I got to enjoy some Italian ice and frozen custard.






We also enjoyed free slurpee day at 7-11, again, with a friend, Beckham and Luke has been making me protector robots for my nightstand at night time.




We also got to have a quick visit from our friends, the Ellsworth's. They have a little guy one year older than Caleb with Down Syndrome. They were one of the first people we called when we found out about Caleb and have tried to see each other whenever we are in the same state.

Next up, our Montana trip!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...