Sunday, January 17, 2010

Life's Little Surprises

Thursday night, a thick fog rolled in under the inversion created by all the smog in the Salt Lake Valley, causing me to think I was back in California with the fog that rolls in from the bay or ocean. By Friday morning, it had cleared, but left a solid ice covering over my car. I felt as though i were chipping ice while trying to scrape it off my windshield. Quite exciting. As I started for my commute to work, the thought kept coming to me that I should take State St. instead of the freeway to work, but I pushed it aside and went on my way down I-15. As i took my exit, the road right at the entrance of Draper became slick, almost as if it were covered in snow (keep in mind, the prior 15 minutes of my commute had perfectly fine roads). I hit a slick part and started to loose control of my little Honda whom I have named Billy, in honor of the man who gave me such a good deal on it. All advice came into mind at once and my body took over- shift to a lower gear, pump the breaks, turn into the slide, get out of the way of other cars to regain control. I managed to avoid the cars in front of me, to either side of me, and was just about to get control of Billy when a large jolt accompanied by a loud crunch, flung my body forward. Yes, a 4-runner rear ended me, just when I though I was safe. The guy who was driving it got out, yelled some rated R words, exclaimed he had just got it fixed (obviously rear ending is a habit of his) then proceeded to tear his bumper off then stare at the damage done. Luckily, I took pictures before he did this so that I have proof that THAT damage was not done by my car. We exchanged information and went on our ways. While at work, I get a call from a state trooper asking me to come down to give a statement of the accident. As I'm setting up a time to do so, I'm thinking why on earth did this man involve the police into a simple rear-ending?!?! Anyway, my insurance was great. Taking care of everything and making the accident a little less inconvenient, while assuring me that if Mr. temper-tantrum tries to contact me to tell him to just call them; like a good neighbor, State Farm is there. I'm fine, Billy is drivable as long as the trunk is jimmy-rigged to keep closed. Mostly just a pain in the rear-end (pretty good pun, if I do say so myself). Long story short, I should have listened to the little voice telling me to take State St.


Poor Billy

On to happier news, because it is always best to end with the good news rather than the bad, Courtney has opened my eyes to a new game. Brace yourselves for another simple amusement moment. We were at a friend's house, found a football, and began to play "feetball," a game in which you balance on your bum, working out your abs, while passing a ball from person to person, without the use of your hands. Sounds lame, but not only were we all thouroughly amused for about an hour playing it, we also got an amazing ab workout. Good times and good laughs.


Catch and throw with your feet

Teamwork is involved in the game

I came across a quote earlier this week that struck me.

"What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful."
-Scott Westerfield


Mr. Westerfield, you are so right! Beauty is much deeper than outer appearance. Something society needs to be reminded of now and again.

I finished Hunger Games, the book we are reading for our bookclub. Yes, we have started a bookclub. No, we are not old ladies. Anyway, VERY good book. 400 hundred pages, read in two days. One of those books that when 2am rolls around, you have to force yourself to put it down knowing that you must go to sleep our you will a zombie the next morning.

Other than Billy and his saggy bottom, or as BP says, "Billy has a little more junk in his trunk," and the creation of feetball, Utah is Utah, I am me, and life is good. I enjoy little challenges to make me step outside of my comfort zone to grow and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...