Sunday, January 10, 2010

Looking Back and Looking Forward

I can't believe Christmas has come and gone along with 2009. As I brought in the New Year with Courtney, her date Daniel, and Dallin (who looked like Quasimodo due to some allergy-quite an experience to go on a date with Quazi him self!), I was thinking about all that had occurred in 2009, where I was at that time a year ago (watching "Twilight" with Mama B.), and the opportunities that await me in 2010. Some of my milestone moments in 2009:

  • Graduating College- I do miss Cal Poly and being able to "sluff" (Utah slang for "ditch") classes without too much of a consequence as opposed to ditching work and losing a day's worth of much needed pay
  • Travelled to Greece, Italy, and Turkey-Words cannot describe
  • Bought my first car-such a feeling of independence
  • Moved to Utah- I miss SLO but am enjoying it out here
  • Became a full time employee - sometimes I wonder why when children are scratching me or when I'm changing an 11-year-old's diaper (more to come on this)
  • Dyed my hair- as of last night, it is a shade darker than my first dying. LOVE it
  • Became an aunt of two- meeting William, as well as seeing Bailey over Christmas was grand, despite the hyperness of Bailey and Will's constant need to eat...constantly...non-stop
Those are just a few of the many things that I experienced and was able to do in 2009. Now onto what has been happening since the last time I updated everyone.

Napa was amazing. I love my family. Brad and Lexi keep growing, astounding me with their strength and contagious personalities. We were able to take family photos of the kids, thanks to Christine Frye who is an amazing friend and photographer, at Peju winery. They were a lot of fun to take, mostly because we made Brad with his busted knee climb trees, over rocks, and jump up walls. Grand times. I think they turned out really well and hope that all who receive them enjoy them as much as we enjoyed taking them.

How William is if he is not eating, or sleeping


So Presh!

I got back to Utah on the 29th of December, late due to plane delays, and started up work again the next day. When I came into work, I was warmly greeted by one of our little guys (only he is not so little) with a big hug and his squeal that he makes when he is excited. Always a good feeling to know you were missed. We took on two new kids the next week who have turned out to be pretty easy going. They have their moments, but for the most part they are fairly mellow. One guy is 11 and I have nicknamed him "Godzilla" only because when he gets upset he looks like Godzilla destroying Tokyo with his size and lack of body coordination. I know, I know...not very nice, but entertaining, nonetheless. This guy also is not yet potty-trained, which means we have begun to take shifts changing his poopy diapers simply because they are the foulest thing one might ever smell in his or her life. The first time I did it, I was literally sticking my head out the door to gasp for air, then holding my breath as I changed him to prevent the intense gagging reflex that almost caused me to throw up. Good times at ABTC. I sure do enjoy them despite the times they are scratching me, head banging me, or when I have to endure disgusting instances of diaper changing, snot whiping, and spit-spritzing.

NEW GAME! For Christmas, I recieved a game called "Things." Sounds a little iffy. However, we busted it out on New Year's Eve and let me tell you, it was entertaining. Courtney and I soon found out that we were the "corrupt" ones of the bunch after a few topics that went like this: (Pink=us, blue=boys)
Topic: Things you would do in a city wide power outage
Streak
Streak
Play Sardines
Take a nap
Topic: Things you would do with chocolate
Roll in it
Take a bath in it
Dip strawberries in it
Let it melt in my mouth
And those are just a couple of examples of how the 20 or so rounds went. Good game that causes laughs and insight to a person. I highly recommend it.

Life is good. Courtney and I have resoluted to take a walk everyday after work. Six days of success so far. They are good for us physically, mentally and economically, seeing as we just talk and are each others therapists. They last as long as we need them to and make us feel refreshed and ready to go. We have planned our first activity, "Mr. 17th Ward Pagent," for our ward which will be in two weeks; very excited for it. Follow-up on that to come when it happens. I also got the news last night that my roommate all through college, Katy, and her boyfriend, Kevin, (whom I helped got together freshman year of college) are engaged!!! That made my week and I am extremely excited for them.

Hoping all had a good start to the New Year and a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...