Friday, June 4, 2010

To Cali and Back Again

Oh boy, lots to catch up on.

First, and foremost, I had a semi-success with sewing! I completed a skirt that actually looks and fits like a skirt should. It still has some mishaps, but no one could really tell unless they were closely looking...


Second, Courtney and I have a new roommate. Our old one is getting hitched on the 8th, and moving to Kansas for her hubby's schooling. Our new one, Angie, is from Nigeria. Very exciting. Based off of her concerns with us, she seems to have had some bad experiences with roommates in the past. Mainly problems with sharing her dishes and such. Both Courtney and I have never been possessive over dishes and kitchen items, so we are trying to adjust. Poor Courtney almost got yelled at for using one of her knives...hopefully with time she will see we are not like her past experiences. Maybe worse...who knows! Courtney and I enjoy each others company.

Third, Dallin got to experience Napa. We originally planned to go to St. George for Memorial Day weekend, but those plans fell threw last minute. This left us disappointed that we were going to be stuck in Utah, inversion and all, for the 3 day weekend. However, Friday morning when my alarm went off, I had an urge to go to Napa. So, I called Dallin, asked if he wanted to leave for Napa after work, he agreed, and at 5:30 that evening, we set out for beautiful Napa. Long drive, but well worth the trip. It was so good to see the family and introduce Dallin to where I spent a large chunk of my life, including Browns Valley Market, Partrick Road, Vintage, Dozer, Golden Bagel and more. I also forgot how green California really is. I has thinking that Utah was looking so green before we went to Cali. Utah is nothing in comparison. My family will testify to how amazed I was at all the trees. That just means I had been away for too long!

Experiencing his first Vallerga's sandwich. Delicious!

Hopefully, we didn't scare Dallin away, and that he will stick around (I think we are kind of stuck together, in a good way). However, he will now never live down his choice of eating Corn Flakes for breakfast because he didn't want to eat any of the "good" cereal. If anyone has seen our pantry, they will know how silly that thought is seeing as the pantry has two full shelves dedicated to cereal. He tried to convince us that he really liked Corn Flakes...silly boy.

The drive itself was fun. Between the two of us, we were stopping every other hour to pee. On the way back to Utah, we had to go in the middle of Nevada. We stopped at the first rest area we saw and were greeted with the classic rest area toilet, only worse. There was mold lining the way down to the hole that held all the dumpage, and the scent of the waste filled our nostrils the second we stepped out of the car. It was pretty bad, but a place to pee. It was that, or the side of the road.

Reno area

Disgusting Toilet. Yes, I peed like that

Last night, we went on a walk around his neighborhood and ran into a lady who had a flat tire. We went over to help her, because I know that flat tires usually happen on days when you just have had it and the flat tire is the icing on the cake that makes you just want to cry; you all know what I'm talking about. Anyway, we go over to help her, Dallin tries to get the tire off for about 20 minutes when I finally convince him to accept defeat due to the lug nuts being rusted and stripped, not by any fault of his, and try this spray stuff she had that supposedly would inflate the tire for a short amount of time. Sounded like a hoax to me, but she got it in a free emergency kit from a mortuary (go figure). I went back to Dallin's to get my car to follow her home since she only had one lug nut that was actually holding the tire onto her car while they tried the spray. I came back to both of them covered in stinky, white foam that came from the can. Needless to say, it didn't work. As we gave the lady a ride home, she began to tell us that her day was just a bad day (see, the tires know!) and how grateful she was that we stopped to help her. Made my day and I'm glad that I am dating a fella who will so willing help others. The whole experience was pretty funny and Dallin says he is going to change all four tires on my car to prove that he can change a tire.

Other than that, still taking my on-line classes, the complex pool has opened and just in time for hot, hot weather, and work is exhausting, but good. Two weeks until I make my way to Colorado for Katelyn's wedding and to see family there. Unfortunately, Dallin has to work and has school so he will not be able to make it on that road trip. He will make it down someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...