Saturday, July 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Dallin!

Birthday Boy!

Friday was Dallin's birthday, and a day off for me from work thanks to the Pioneers who came to Utah in 1847. Here in Utah, Pioneer Day is honestly bigger than Independence Day. The whole week they have festivities, starting with the viewing of the floats that are in today's 3-hour parade around downtown Salt Lake, and ending with MULTIPLE firework shows. The whole day is kind of a big deal.

Decorating his car while he was at work

My accomplice

Also part of the Pioneer festivities is the "Days of '47 Rodeo," which Dallin and I went to on his birthday. As the announcer declared the monetary winnings each cowboy has received throughout the week, Dallin and I were thinking it would not be a bad idea to get our kids involved in rodeo life. They make bank! However, once we witnessed one cowboy recieve a broken neck during calf tying, and another a "shaving scratch," as the host described the gash in his head, from bull riding, we decided maybe only the girls who are safer with barrell racing should get involved in rodeo life or just stick to 4-H raising pigs, goats and cows, like Dallin did growing up. Still good money!

At the rodeo

Poor rag-doll man


Almost made the 8-second ride

On to my "Good job, Kelli" moments. Dallin is not a huge cake fan, thus when given the choice between cake and pie for his birthday, he chose pie; apple pie. This inspired me to try and get Grandma D's famous apple pie recipe out of her, which, to my surprise, she gave to me without a fight! She even shared pie-baking tips, which I was grateful for because no one can make a pie like Grandma D. I know the suspense is killing you as to whether or not I succeeded at the pie challenge. Well...


Not to toot my own horn, but look how perfect it looks! No overflow, perfect browned crumble topping, and it tasted great, too! Thank you Grandma D. Dallin was very grateful, as well.

Happy boy, with a lot of candles

Next moment: Dallin and I challenged each other to work out 4 days a week. If one failed to do so, the first offense was to wash and detail the other's car...

Dallin failed, so Billy got an amazing bath! We have not yet decided on a second offense...any ideas?

Courtney was watching the news the other day and happened to witness this story coverage. It is a gem!



Those poor dogs. Could you imagine driving down the road and seeing somone walking their turtle-dyed dog?!?! That would be quite humerus. However, this does beg the question, what would you dye your dog to look like? I think it would be neat to dye mine to look like a pig...



Last weekend, Dallin and I went back up to McCammon, Idaho for his family reunion for the Green side. The weekend was very laid back, full of food and small town life, including a trip to the cornor store, which is a gas station convienience shop. During the visit, his mom introduced me to "Anne of Green Gables." I had heard of the movie and book before but had never watched nor read neither one. However, I am an "Anne of Green Gables" virgin, no more! It took us all of Saturday to watch due to meals and activities, but we did it. I can now say I have seen the movie.

Happy 24th, as they say here in Utah. Enjoy the warm weather, stay cool, and wear sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...