Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Water, Water Everywhere

Friday,  one of my little clients' household was battling the stomach flu, so I was able to move my sessions up and come home a few hours early, with hopes of finishing up some Christmas shopping, packing for our grandma Green getaway the next day and mostly just enjoy a lazy Friday afternoon.  I know, too much to ask for.  I basically jinxed myself making all those plans.

When I arrived home, I was greeted by a stale, stingy smell.  Naturally, the refrigerator was first to check on my list, followed by the garbage can, then the bathroom, the bat cave with our food...all in mint condition.  As I walked out of the bat cave, I heard it; drip, drip, drip (imagine that sounding aggressive and quick).  I walk into our bedroom to find my side of the bed drenched in water streaming from the pipe above the bed.  My adrenaline mode must have kicked in because I somehow was able to call our landlord and Dallin, as well as get the bedding off and the bed, dresser, clothes, etc., out of the flow of attack, along with making a trip upstairs to get our neighbors to turn off any water they had running (their pipe was the one leaking), all within 30 minutes.  It may not have been moving a car to get to a child inside, but I do believe it was that same area that was tapped into.

The ceiling bubble that gave birth
The water creatures on our west wall
Water creature on the east wall
Dallin, our landlord and the plumber arrived within the next 30 minutes to a room filled with buckets, towels, and bulging bubbles of water forming behind the paint in the ceiling and walls (seriously, they were quite large).  Dallin's favorite part is what happened next; our ceilings water broke.   The plumber (whom we believe caused the problem when, earlier that day, he cleaned the upstairs drains and bumped the 90 degree pipe loose, thinking it was a clog...)pulled out his knife and slit the bump in the ceiling resulting in water spewing out into the bucket.  He then joyfully cut out the sheet rock in the ceiling and he and our landlord went to work finding the leak while Dallin and I went to the laundromat to wash our down comforter and sheets.  The duvet cover I was so proud of a year ago, got the brunt of the wetness and now has a nice home at the city dump, along with our pillows-they got quite nasty as well.   Luckily, I got home right when the water started pouring down which allowed me to salvage our bed. 

Nasty

Gotta watch out for the sketchy people at the laundromat
Such a good boy doing his homework at the laundromat...or spacing out.
Entertainment

When we got home, the pipe was fixed and our landlord was making plans to come finish the job the next day while we were at grandma's.  So, we left for grandma Green's.

The scene in our bedroom when we got home from the laundromat
We had a very nice visit with grandma Green, playing scrabble, visiting, eating brownies and cleaning her basement after an overflowing toilet filled it with water.  Yes, you read that right.  We escaped water in our bedroom and it followed us into grandma Green's basement.  Luckily, hers was solely because of the toilet overflowing into the vents, so we were able to dry everything out easily.  We are beginning to think God is trying to tell us to be plumbers... No thanks.

Mr. Fix it

Yes, I dried each can with a towel and space heater.  Can't gamble getting moldy food storage!
Anyway, we cleaned her basement out, watched "Miracle on 34th Street" for our first time, and then headed home, only to realize that I had left my purse hanging on her rocking chair.  Now, Dallin checked that spot TWICE, I checked TWICE before leaving, and we both somehow still missed that darn purse hanging there.  One of my clients is on Hill Air force Base which requires me to go in every 3 days to get a permit to get on base, which means I HAVE to have my ID to get to this client.  Needless to say, we contemplated turning around (we were 1 hour from home, 1.5 hours and a snowstorm away from grandma's), but then just decided to have it mailed.  The past two days without my wallet have been quite exciting.  I received it in the mail today, bless grandma Green's heart for mailing it so quickly.  I guess we were just supposed to stay with grandma for a few more days...

That is the excitement of the Green's.  In the last hour of our drive home, we reviewed all that had happened, finding humor and discouragement in each situation.  However, we enjoyed the humor and gratitude far more than the discouragement.  What we enjoyed about our weekend of water:
  • getting to know our wonderful landlord a little better as he slaved day and night to get our bedroom fixed (which, it is all done)
  • enjoying an evening at the laundromat (interesting people...)
  • safe travels
  • eachother and the ability we have to laugh at situations like the ones we had
  • perspective
  • scriptures - mine got quite water logged which made me realize how truly special they are
On the left is my Book of Mormon, not my bible.  I was not lying when I said the got QUITE waterlogged.
  • family
  • shelter
There is so much more, but these are the ones we focused on in that last hour of driving.  The whole weekend really was quite humorous if you think about it.  Glad that our room is back in order though!

Christmas is almost here (the heartwarming vocals of Josh Groban has been bringing the Christmas cheer into our home), Dallin has his finals this week and life is good.  Really, it is.

By far one of my favorite Christmas songs.  Well, tied with The First Noel

 Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...