Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Few Firsts

FIRST, one week until we have been married ONE WHOLE YEAR.  Craziness, but oh so exciting.  For those asking the questions in their head, no, we are not sick of each other and yes, we still think we are newlyweds.

FIRST, I, Kelli Green, shot a handgun.  Now, some of you that know me may be aware that I am not a fan of handguns.  In fact, while dating, Dallin and I actually got into a huge fight over guns and the death penalty...you know the normal difference in opinion fights that dating couples have.  

Anyway, for some reason I have no problem at all with shotguns.  Possibly the fact that media has decided to portray handguns as only weapons of harm to others and whenever I see one in a show or movie, my first instinct is, "Oh shoot. That person is about to do something extremely dumb and make a bad choice."  Hopefully I am not alone in this reaction.  Whereas shotguns are usually used for recreational hunting.  Either way, I told Dallin I would most likely never shoot his gun; even though he leaves it with a detached loaded magazine for me whenever he leaves for a night.  However, recently I had an urge to try it out.  Possibly due to pent up frustrations from being cut off or nearly rammed into by ferocious Utah drivers day in and day out. So, being the sweet guy he is, he jumped on this opportunity and that very night took me to a shooting range.  This was my reaction to shooting my first 9mm handgun:
 Exciting. Thrilling. Terrifying. Exhilarating. Relaxing.  I know that most of those adverbs are contradictory, but those are the emotions that shooting elicited.  Over all, the goal to relieve stress by spending a few hours at a shooting range was accomplished.  Not to mention, once Dallin actually SHOWED me how to hold the thing after about 15 rounds, I was pretty dang good.

On a slight tangent, we recently watched The Bourne Identity (one of our first blue ray purchases) and marveled at the impossibility of the scene where Jason Bourne is shooting a gun with his pinky, upside down.  I now realize the complete ridiculousness of that scene.  Nevertheless, still a favorite action movie.
Rocking the ear muffs and glasses
Got to 6:40 and you will see the pinky shooting

FIRST, I made curtains to help brighten our little homey basement.  Spent the majority of Saturday sewing, mostly hemming, these cute little blasts of sunshine.  Dallin's interior decorating eye suggested we have them only come to the paneling, not to the floor as I had originally planned, which was an ingenious idea.  Love them!

FIRST, we got rid of the dinosaur, as mama B calls Dallin's old faithful television, and upgraded to an HD, 42" flat screen.  Lets just say we can now actually see detail in the pictures...
Anyone want a dinosaur?
FIRST, we dominated in Black Jack on Saturday at Dallin's winter work party.  Before some of you start getting your panties in a bunch and gasping "You gambled?!?!" remember that it is against the law to gamble in Utah and let me explain.  The theme for this year's party was "Flappers and Fidoras," a twenties theme.  Lucky for us, we dressed up as a 1920's couple two Halloweens ago and already had the getup.  With some improvements, such as the "pocketwatch" for Dallin's vest pocket, we got all dolled up and had an amazing dinner followed by a night of play gambling with points, no cash.  I must admit, if it was cash, I probably would have had a lot more sour moments.  Anyway, we started at the craps table and walked away saying, "No wonder they call it craps...what a crappy game," and joined the Black Jack table.  Perfect game for my mathematician, control freak mind.  Our dealer was this adorable little Asian guy that kept giving Dallin chips for trying and me chips for having good instincts.  He also commented how my strategy of paying attention to what cards were played already from the deck was a good strategy to have. Mama B later stated that strategy is too close to counting cards...

At the end of the night, we walked away with 20 raffle tickets which, if we were playing with real money, would come out to about $4000.  Not bad when we started out with $200/points.

Check out that loot!
Rocking the '20's look
Our little Asian dealer took this for us.  He was seriously amazing
That is all for our FIRSTS over the past few weeks. We love you all and wish you fabulous weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the Utah drivers... and I love the curtains!

    ReplyDelete

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...