This month's topic:
The Beginning
A look at how we met, first impressions, the dating experience, etc
We did not read each other's responses to each question before answering them to keep the integrity of our answers. Dallin still checked in with me on some things to make sure it was okay to put down. Enjoy!
First up to bat, Dallin:
First impression of Kelli
I met Kelli once before my mission. She was getting a ride home from from church with one of my friends while I was riding in the back seat. I remember the conversation being a little bit uncomfortable and thinking to myself, "Good luck Mike, she's going to be a handful".
What attracted you to her?
Kelli would give off confidence where ever she went. Whether we were bowling at Cal Poly or just taking an evening walk around town, she was always confident with what she said and how she felt.
Asking her out
I can't take any credit for taking the initiative on this one. If I remember this right she basically came up to me and said "So when are you going to ask me out?" That got me thinking . . . . . . "Maybe she is interested." After that lets just say that I was hooked.
Memories from the first date
The first thing that comes to mind are bats. We went to a Death Cab for Cutie concert on the Cal Poly campus and I remember seeing a single bat fly around inside the building. People were commenting on it as it flew around and landed in various different places. Oh, and Kelli was wearing a beautiful green sweater thingy that I later learned was called a cardigan. Yes, I remember that. After the concert we went to the pita pit (Kelli's idea). It was surprisingly good. I think I got a turkey ranch something that we both split.
Thoughts after the first date
I thought it went pretty good. We had good conversation, good music and good food. I went home that night feeling well and confident in myself.
Deciding to go on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th date
I never really had to think about maybe going on another date, it was already set up in my mind for the next weekend. I felt like she did lead me on once or twice, but all it all worked out in the end.
Making the first move
You might call this convenient for myself but I can't really remember the moment that I made the "first move". I want to say it was more or less a series of awkward moves rather than one particular move. I think she actually liked it though. An awkward boy fussing over her so.
Feelings on the first kiss
Well that could have gone a little bit better. Those were my thoughts for the first couple kisses.
First impressions of Kelli's family
I could always tell that she had a special place in her heart for her mom. They were always texting back and forth (even while we were on a date). I also felt like her entire family was pretty nonchalant about meeting me. It took them a while to really warm up to me, but once they did I got to meet the family that Kelli always spoke so highly of.
First knew you loved her
I would say the first time that we broke up. Well, actually a little bit after that. I told myself that I could move on and that there were plenty of other fish in the sea. But, every Sunday my heart would beat a little stronger when I caught a glimpse of Kelli. That was it.
When you knew you wanted to marry Kelli
When Kelli said, "We need to get married." Ha! But seriously. She was the reason I moved out to Utah, got my head on straight with school and worked hard to get good work experience in the company where I currently work. She makes me want to change (always for the better) and makes me want to love her even more.
Here is Kelli's take:
First impression of Dallin
I vaguley remember meeting Dallin at the bowling night; mostly I just remember seeing a new kid who told me he just got his mission call. As a freshman who just broke out of the small dating pool of Napa, I was a girl on a mission myself to go on some dates! So, I kind-of tuned him out after hearing the mission part. However, when he returned to the SLO 3rd Ward after his mission, he stuck out to me with his contagious smile, laid back demeanor and, most importantly, ability to not be a part of any of the 3rd ward drama. He mostly just seemed like a fun-loving, all around good guy, with no skeletons in his closet.
What attracted you to him?
As mentioned before, he seemed to have no skeletons which was very attractive to me at the time seeing as I had dated my share of guys who seemed to make it a hobby to see how full they could fill their closets with said skeletons. Also, his smile. If you ever see Dallin without his smile, you know something is wrong. It is one of those smiles that makes everyone around him just feel good. That, plus his classically handsome face with his dark eyes and strong jaw.
Being asked out
Seeing as I was the one to basically ask him out, I will tell of how I decided I wanted to go on a date with him. Up to this point we had only "conversed," aka flirted guiltlessly, a few times during Sunday School when I would strategically seat myself either next to him or very near him so that he would notice me. After about a month of this with no invitation on a date, my Taurus personality broke through and asked him when he was going to take me out. Can you believe he actually seemed surprised when I asked him this? Anyway, he did the right thing and asked me out.
Memories from the first date
The first thing I remember is how punctual he was, how gentlemanly he was as he let me walk out the door first, then proceeded to open the car door of a beat up old, red Honda Civic hatchback for me, then kindly apologizing for me having to sit so upright in the Civic seeing as the seat was broken. I giggle as I think about the visual in mind of the drive to the Death Cab for Cutie concert; me sitting so far in front him, with my forced posture from the seat, glancing behind me to talk to him. Continuing with the date, I had never really heard of nor listened to Death Cab for Cutie, so I was a tad bit nervous about going to one of their concerts. I remember wanting to talk, but being a concert, you can't really talk, as well as being extremely hungry, which Dallin soon became notorious for not ever thinking to feed me on our dates. This poses as a bit of a problem since I have Hulk-like tendencies when I am hungry. Back to the first date, after the concert, I was starving so we ate at Pita Pit where I was glad he did not have a look of disgust on his face as I devoured a delicious turkey pita. On the doorstep, he was a perfect gentleman, walked me to my door, then gave a hug, a smile and no attempt to kiss me. Overall, it was a good date.
Thoughts after the first date
In all honesty, I thought, "He is cute, fun and sweet as pie. But, I see it going one of two ways: I marry him or I will never hear from him again." True story. Ask my roommates.
Deciding to go on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th date
We kept talking after the first date, he kept asking me on future dates, so I obliged seeing as I really did enjoy my time with him and he made me feel good when I was around him. However, due to my deeply buried fear of commitment, I was weary to continue and kept looking for flaws, magnifying the silly little ones. Why do girls do that?
The first move
The first move I remember was when we were at farmer's market and he slyly, yet awkwardly at the same time, grabbed my hand. This was followed by another move in the car when he went to put his arm around my shoulders and on the way over the head, he hit hit me in the forehead. His handsome charm made up for the lack of game.
Feelings on the first kiss
Well, we all know how awkward I felt the first moves were, mainly because the kid had been on a mission for 2 years and mainly because I was the first girl he really made those moves on AND not so mainly because of my tendency to close myself up due to my aforementioned fear, which only added to the difficulty of making moves. The first kiss was no different. He claims the first kiss was earlier than when I think it was, but my memory is after watching a movie at his house, on his driveway as he walked me to my car. Once again, his handsome charm made up for the awkwardness. And who really has an amazing first kiss anyway?
First impressions of Dallin's family
From the first time I met Dallin's brothers to the first time I met his parents and the rest of the Green gang, I adored them. Honestly, at the risk of sounding cheesy, I could not have hand picked a better family to marry into. I think the first time I officially met the whole gang was when he had me for dinner on a Sunday. I just remember laughing and feeling at home whenever I was with his family. His mom and sister intimidated me a little at first because they are such amazing women, but as I have gotten to know them, that amazingness that intimidated me in the beginning is something that I look forward to being around.
First knew you loved him
I was in denial for a long time because of that commitment thingy, but the first time I knew, and allowed myself to admit it to myself, was soon after I moved to Utah and had no desire to date other guys or caught myself comparing the guy I was out with to Dallin, then anxiously waiting for the date to be over so that I could call Dallin. Yes, it took me over a year to admit to myself that I loved the kid.
When you knew you wanted to marry Dallin
That would have been when I took him to Napa to meet my family over Memorial Day weekend, 2010. After being in a car with each other for more than 20 hours round trip with no fights or feelings of "GET ME OUT OF HERE!" followed by spending the whole weekend around him and seeing how he interacted with everyone, showed me that I was done looking for "The One," because I had found him; despite all the awkward firsts. Honestly, the fact that he was not afraid to be himself, is one of the things I have come to admire dearly about him and rely on in our marriage. Besides, whoever said awkward is a bad thing anyway?
And that is a brief introduction to how we became Mr. and Mrs. Dallin Green.



No comments:
Post a Comment