Saturday, November 15, 2014

A-town Love

Have I mentioned how much I love the area of where I went to college? Just in case I have not, or you have forgotten, I'm pretty much addicted to the San Luis Obispo County.

In case you also forgot, Dallin grew up in San Luis County. This gave us a yearly reason to visit the area which not only included spending time with the Greens, but also eating at our favorite restaurants, going to the beach, visiting our favorite, breathtaking vistas and loving every minute. This last minute trip to Atascadero was to bid farewell to Dallin's childhood home. His parents are making the pilgrimage to Idaho to become farmers. We LOVE Idaho and are so excited for Poppa and Momma Green to embark on this well deserved part of their life journey, but are a little bummed to not have a legitimate reason to visit SLO county anymore. I guess Lexi will just have to start dating someone in SLO so that every time we go to Napa, she can ask us to come along for a road trip...I know a few people, Lex.

Anyway, as always, we had a wonderful time being spoiled by Momma Green cooking for us, visiting our favorite places and just relaxing.

We started the trip by making a stop in Irvine to visit our sweet friend's Whitney and Jason who left us crying in Utah a couple of years ago (no hard feelings, guys) and did not take a picture with us, as well as my sweet sist-ah from another mother, Hayley and her darling little boy, Sullivan. It was the perfect little break in the long car ride that we needed, even if Irvine is a little toll crazy with their roads.
This just cracks me up

I love this because the last picture we took together over the summer (shown below), Luke was making the grumpy face. Sullivan must have decided it was his turn to be a stinker
Add caption

We then made the rest of the trip up to Atascadero, with a "Let the kid run around" break at Pismo.
Spud was a little grumpy from being in the car for 4 hours...
Hubby and wife selfie
 The cousins greeted us in the front yard as we pulled into the driveway, which Luke was overjoyed to get to play with him. I told Dallin we need to take them home with us because it was so nice not having to worry about him for a couple of hours as they just played and played with him.

Baking with grandma
That night, Katie spoiled us with some nothing short of amazing ribs. I mean honestly, they were phenomenal. Now, apparently, I have to flirt with the meat guys like she does at local grocers to get the good meat.
Being the sweet son he is, Dallin sent this to his poor dad who was working until 6AM
The next day we ventured into SLO for some Gus's Deli, bubblegum alley as well as a trip to the Cal Poly campus to see all the changes I kept hearing about. Even with the changes, I still love my college. Proud to be a Mustang. But, not proud enough to unstrap the kid from his car seat to take a picture once we realized we had not gotten any.

Eating at Gus's

Bubblegum Alley in Downtown SLO

The San Luis Obispo Mission
We then went to my favorite place in SLO, Montana de Oro. Going there is my euphoria. Luke loved all the rocks and the painters that must have been taking a class or something as they were all strewn about the shore, painting various viewpoints.


He did not want to be held. Restricts his exploring.


That weekend, we took Lukey, Uncle Loel and Grandma Green to Avila Valley Barn where they have their annual pumpkin patch, hay maze, petting zoo and fall feel. Luke loved the maze and the pumpkins. I think that is what he is going to miss most about Halloween and fall is seeing the "Pumkas" everywhere. We finished up the trip with a visit to Avila Beach where Luke was a bit unsure of the waves (maybe because they are FREEZING), but loved getting muddy.
His face may not show it, but he really did like the maze



Farmer Luke on his beloved tractor
Nice and messy at Avila


We then made the usually 13 hour trip, but with a kid in tow 15 hour drive, back to Salt Lake. Thank you for having us, Greens. We are excited to have you closer!
7AM pitstop at Coco's in Barstow

Entertainment on the road

2 comments:

  1. Oh, isn't San Luis Obispo county just heaven on earth!? I love it too. Loved this post of some of my very favorite places on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing trip! Spud is really growing!

    ReplyDelete

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...