Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Pumpkins and Treats

I've been trying to write these next few posts for a few weeks now. My excuse for not just getting them done? When I get overwhelmed, I quickly think of something else when that vexing source comes poking at my brain in the area that keeps my way too long list of "To do's." Usually, this is fixed by going outside or watching the current show of choice claiming I'm "Relaxing." I know I'm not alone on this...right?

Anyway, October was a crazy adventure of last minute trips to Atascadero, Halloween, family and friends along with the ever pressing question of "Where will we be come December?" Trust me, this has been a topic of discussion in our home at least once a day. "Oh the joys," as mama B so eloquently and accurately summed up my feelings the other day in her reminiscent voice of, "I'm glad we are done with that stage" voice.

Enough ranting, here is a quick summary of the first and last part of October. Our California trip will have it's own special post.

To start off our month, Luke and I ventured up Little Cottonwood Canyon for a little jaunt through the quarry. Luke loved climbing on all the rocks along with running through all the fallen leaves. Nature's playground! Only better because Luke always seems to fall off the actual playgrounds at parks as well is still tempramental about the swings and slides. He is not afraid of anything when we let him go free in nature. Double edged sword.

Regarding his fear of slides and swings, please appreciate the fact that I think he is trying to face his hesitance of these devices as he turns EVERYTHING into a slide; including the little alligator from his puzzle as well as will walk up to swings, push them and say "Wee" followed by a quick turn and run when I ask if he wants to get on. One day he will conquer the slide and ask me why I've been holding out on him because its always the mom's fault, right?

The Quarry


Just a little Wasatch Fall beauty for you
A few weeks later, we joined up with our new neighbors/friends who have a little guy a couple of weeks younger than Spud to go to a pumpkin patch up in Farmington. These two boys are pretty cute/funny together. I love watching them figure out how to do things that they normally can't figure out on their own, like open the dog kennel to terrorize M's poor little wiener dog. They had fun discovering the giant pumpkins with one another and riding in the wagon; well, until all the weight was at one end and it toppled Luke out while Mason somehow stayed in. Yet another fun contraption Luke now will not willingly play with.
Luke helping M face his unsureness about these rather large pumpkins


Wagons? No. Giant tractors and trucks? No problem!


Dallin: "Take a picture of us kissing the pumpkin!" Ok?!
For Halloween this year we decided to to Tall Tale characters. I kind of ran out of time so only Dallin and Luke dressed up. Dallin was Johnny Appleseed (with shoes...apparently that was a big fashion faux paux for Johnny Appleseed), and Luke was Paul Bunyan. A mighty cute Paul Bunyan, if I do say so myself. Momma Green helped me come up with the idea to make his blue ox out of a sock, which was brilliant. However easy this may have been, the thing still ended up looking like a gremlin (because sewing and I don't really get along), but Luke still loved his "Be-be."

We participated in our ward/neighborhood's Trunk-or-Treat, where Luke learned the ropes of grabbing candy and handing it to us to put in his basket. He got to practice this new skill at Dallin's work as they hosted their annual Clearlink Trick-or-Treat for all the families of employees at Clearlink. For the reason that Luke really has not clue what is going on and that he already got a ton of candy, we spent Halloween night walking around the neighborhood looking at all the decorations people had going. Already brainstorming next year's family costume!


The kid also got to carve his first pumpkin, which he LOVED squishing all those guts as well as sneaking a few raw pumpkin seeds in his mouth.


That wasn't so bad once I sat down and committed to writing this! Stay tuned for the California trip which will be inundated with pictures.

We hope all had a happy and safe Halloween. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aida is 4!

 Our favorite girl is four! She had four requests for her birthday: 1. waffles and presents for breakfast 2. Auntie Lexi 3. Chips with a san...